A Tooth extraction procedure is the removal of teeth due to different reasons such as tooth decay, trauma to the teeth, overcrowding, or infections.
Types Of Tooth Extraction
There are two types of tooth extraction procedures; simple and surgical extraction. The type of extraction a dentist uses depends on how accessible the tooth is.
- Simple Extraction: this extraction method is suitable for easily accessible teeth. The dentist does not need to reach the tooth below the gum line. During this procedure, a dentist in Shawnee, KS, will administer a local anesthetic to numb the area before pulling the tooth. Shawnee dentists use an elevator and dental forceps for tooth extraction. The elevator is suitable for loosening the tooth, while the dental forceps are suitable for grasping and removing the teeth.
For a simple extraction, the dentist applies pressure by moving the tooth back and forth until it is loose enough to remove.
- Surgical Extraction: this extraction method is more suitable for teeth that are not easily accessible. Sometimes, teeth may not erupt properly, or they may be fractured along the gumline. In this situation, a dentist needs to make an incision on the affected tooth’s connective tissue. Due to the complicated nature of the tooth requiring this procedure, the dentist may need to break the teeth into smaller bits for easier extraction.
A surgical extraction is more painful than a simple extraction. Therefore, Shawnee dentists administer a general anesthetic during the procedure.
When Do You Need Tooth Extraction?
Several reasons require a tooth extraction, including;
- Tooth Decay: poor oral hygiene can cause a buildup of plaque and tartar. This buildup can wear out the teeth’ enamel, causing infections. Infections in the teeth can cause swelling, pain, and even bleeding gums. It is best to visit a dentist in Shawnee, KS, for an examination and immediate tooth extraction to prevent the spread of Infection.
- Gum Disease: this occurs when there is an inflammation of the gums surrounding teeth. Just like tooth decay, plaque and tartar buildup can cause gum inflammation and deterioration. Visiting a dentist near you often can help with early detection and removal of the affected tooth before it becomes a severe condition.
- Impacted Tooth: when teeth grow at an angle or one tooth pushes against another, impaction occurs. Impacted teeth can cause severe jaw pain, swollen gums, and bleeding. It may not be easy to open the mouth when there is an impacted tooth. Tooth extraction is suitable for removing an impacted tooth and relieving discomfort
- Overcrowding: tooth impaction can also cause overcrowding. In overcrowding, the jaw doesn’t have enough space to accommodate the teeth. Overcrowding can cause teeth misalignment and affect a person’s smile. Removing impacted teeth can free up space to allow the remaining teeth to spread out and grow properly.
- Trauma: an accident or sports injury can cause trauma to the teeth, leading to severe impact. It is best to visit a dentist near you if you sustain trauma to your teeth to eliminate the risk of infections.
Where To Get A Tooth Extraction Procedure
Emergency Dentistry in Shawnee provides services, including tooth extractions. Dr. Keith Jessop is a well-known dentist in Shawnee with many years of experience performing tooth extraction procedures.
If you have a severe toothache, bleeding gums, swollen jaw, or have difficulty opening your mouth. Visit our emergency dentistry clinic in Shawnee for prompt treatment.
When Should You Visit A Dentist After An Extraction?
Although you may feel slight discomfort after an extraction procedure, the extraction site should heal between one or two weeks. However, if the pain worsens, or you have a fever, swelling of gums, chest pain, or nausea, the extraction site may have an infection. Visit a dentist immediately for examination and prompt treatment.
Tooth extraction is necessary whenever you have impacted or overcrowded teeth, tooth decay, gum disease, or suffer trauma to your teeth. Prompt treatment can reduce the risk of infections spreading and also relieve you of any discomfort.